Thursday, May 9, 2013

Disciplining My Child


Last Sunday’s preaching to us was about parenting.  The key verse was Proverbs 22:6:

“Train up a child in the way he should go, that when he is old, he will not depart from it”

Then, the pastor tackles about how to discipline our children.  And yes, the bible agrees with spanking/hitting them as told in Proverbs 13:24 and Proverbs 29:15.

Proverbs 13:24
“Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them”

Proverbs 29:15
“A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces his mother.”

So why am I telling you this? Because early this morning I hit my baby.  Neo had been playing with our aircon from the moment he was able reach it (he already broke the OFF button, so our aircon won’t switch off until we plug it out of the socket.)  Now, for quite some time, he’s focusing on turning the cooler high and low – and for quite some time too, I have been telling him not to.  Earlier, when I was getting ready for work, dressing up, Neo again played with the cooler button of the aircon.  I told him not to – but he won’t listen.  Then I grabbed the closest thing to me – a pencil – and hit the back of his wrist 3 times.  I know for sure it was painful. He cried a whole lot and won’t go near me for a good 15secs.  Though after that, he hugged me and I told him that he should not play with the aircon (well, I’ve been telling him that for more than a month already, but I think I still should reiterate). 

I felt guilty afterwards.  I know I should hit him and tell him what he did wrong.  But I know I’m wrong too.  He is too young (17 months) to understand what is wrong.  And I used pencil, not my hand as I should use this in caressing him.  Well, I think I’ll have to exercise more and more and more patience (I know I did, but I think it should me more pa). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...