Friday, September 11, 2015

Organic Urban Gardening 101 by Cedarhills Garden Center

I love plants.  I love gardening.  Let it be clear.  But I think gardening hates me.  I can count in one hand alone the number of plants that grew when I plant them.  Some of them die.  Most of them don’t really want to live after I plant them.  Sadly, I don’t possess a green thumb. L

This is one of the reasons I gladly accepted Cedarhills’ invitation to attend their Organic Urban Gardening 101 workshop.  The workshop was held at Cedarhills Garden Center in Quezon City. 


I arrived at the venue a couple of minutes before the start time and was able to roam around Cedarhills first.  The workshop started at exactly 1pm, which was really good because as Gerald, our facilitator, said he doesn’t want to punish the early bird by starting late.

This greeted me at my table in the workshop.

The workshop consists of everything you need to learn to start your own garden and maintain one.  We started in sequential order of gardening.





Seed Soaking.

To help seeds boost their moisture content. 

Using EM Technology.

The answer to your black-thumb: EMAS.
Sprouting.

Because I love salads, I need to learn sprouting too.

Seed Planting.

For planting, it should be Soil -> Water with EMAS -> Seed -> Water with EMAS.

Transplanting.

Wait for 2-3 true leaves before transplanting. 

Fertilizer Application.

Applying fertilizer by Banding and Circling.

Bed Planting.

Busy decorating my bed planter. 

Pest Management

Spray liquid fertilizer under the leaves instead of in front.

In the middle of the workshop, we were given time to take our snacks at Hillside Café.  I especially like the Tanglad Juice (Lemon Grass Juice) and the breaded pickled.

Our snack from Hillside Café.

Before the end of the workshop, we were given a chance to design our own bed planter.   I won this design contest for our table and was given Php100 GC as a prize. J

My decorated bed planter.

By the end of the workshop, we were given certificates and Php100 GC each for us to use in shopping at Cedarhills Garden. 

With our facilitator, Gerald Sioco.

What I like about this workshop aside from learning a lot during the 4-hour flow are:


1)    There are only 16 participants.  The workshop area has 4 tables, so that makes 4 participants in each table.  Each table has an assistant that will help participants during the workshop.

2)    Hands-on activities.  This workshop is 85% hands on. You learn more while doing it yourself.

3)    Complete kits.  Everything you need during the hands-on activities are provided.  Soil, water, soft pots, and everything.  You don’t need to ask.  It is already provided.

4)    Attentive to the participants need.  Aside from the snack, which was part of the package, participants were given bottled water (so we won’t get thirsty), apron (so we won’t get dirty), OFF Lotion (so mosquitoes won’t come near us), bag basket (so our things are safe and won’t be dirty), and lovely assistants (so all our needs and questions are taken cared of).

5)    Take home kits.  All the things we did in the workshop were given to us to take home.  We were also given a soft copy of the entire workshop lecture (so we really don’t need to jot down notes).

6)    Post-Workshop Assistance.  A week after the workshop, Cedarhills sent me an email asking how have my “garden” been and if I have questions, they are more than willing to answer and help me. 

Together with my workshop-mates, facilitator Gerald, and assistants. J

This workshop is held every month.  It costs Php1995 inclusive of snacks and starter kits.  I encourage everyone who wants to start their own garden (small or big one) to attend this workshop and learn.  This maybe your key to being black-thumb no more! J


For more information, you can call 02-926-2707.  Or visit their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cedarhillsgardencenter 


10 comments:

  1. Hi! Where is Cedar Hills Garden located? I'm so interested. I've been discussing this with my father. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi May, you should try this. I've learned a lot in this workshop. You can bring your kid too. :) PS: By November they'll be holding a workshop like this for kids.

      Delete
  2. OH sorry, I just reread that it's in QC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popup gazebos are typically settled to primary structures utilizing zips or even Velcro. Cultivate chairs, when completely leaned back can make them take a gander at the sky and awakening some time later considering to what extent you have been out for. You should guarantee that the headrest must be smooth and sufficiently customizable to be in a position agreeable for you. www.southwestrda.org.uk/garden-maintenance-renovation-lawn-care/islington-n/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to concede, we're getting a poor start on our fall plant. Since fall is only a couple of days away, the best thing to do is to begin with seedlings or pre-grown plants. https://www.homyden.com/japanese-beetle-control-identify-prevent-get-rid-japanese-beetles/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These days almost anyone can own a garden gazebo, and assemble a garden gazebo in the backyard, garden gazebo kits offer the beauty of a wooden gazebo, many gazebos are available in a huge variety of shapes and sizes, ranging from Victorian and Amish styles to small to party size in diameter.party gazebo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for presenting your points and providing this information. I have learned something about this topic..Gainesville lawn maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are really good quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend. insurance guides organic gardening resources

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, you will need to take note of your growing zone, especially the hours of sun vs. shade in the area you are planting. We do site analysis in the first place to know which plants will thrive in our garden. Small garden tips

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spotlights are other solar lights for gardens, which are primarily used for security functions. Spotlights are bright and often installed onto a wall, they focus a beam in a particular instructions. They are adjustable and great security options for any garden area. for additional information

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...