Friday, February 17, 2017

My First Educational Tour As A Chaperone

When I was still studying, one of the highlights of any school year I attended is the Field Trip (or Educational Trip as it is called now).  This is the time when kids go out of the school ground and bond with their classmates.  I remember being excited as I count down the days remaining for the Field Trip.  I remember packing a lot of essentials, and non-essentials, like extra clothes and snacks.  I remember waking up so early on the Field Trip day (because I wasn’t able to sleep properly due to excitement).  Those whole day trips brought so many memories.

Our little Neo is already on his third academic year.  This year marks his second time to attend an Educational Trip.  His first time was last year and it was his Papa who accompanied him.  We didn’t allow him to join the Educational Trip on his first school  year at the Barangay Day Care.

When his school administrator announced that they were going to Kidzania for this year’s Educational Trip, I volunteered to join him.  I was more excited than Neo! J  All those things I remembered during my own Field Trip: counting the days, packing essentials, and waking up early for the day, are the things I did because I was just so excited.



This is my first time to be a chaperone in an Educational Trip.  We only went to three (3) locations within the Metro:  Pasig Rain Forest at Pasig, Philippines Science Centrum at Marikina, and Kidzania at Taguig.  But it was a whole day of fun.  Neo and I bonded during that day and I want to be able to join him in all his succeeding educational trips. 

As a chaperone and as a mom of course, I need to take charge.  I need to make sure to bring a lot of the following.

Food and Water – I initially didn’t want to bring packed lunch as I was thinking of eating at a fastfood restaurant.  The hubby and Ate Espie contradicted as it would mean Neo and I will have to beat the crowd for food, so Ate Espie packed lunch for us.  And good thing she did as during the trip we took lunch on the bus.  Our packed lunch and water didn’t go amiss.

Money – As this trip is already paid in advance, I didn’t expect to spend but I still did.  At Kidzania, Neo wanted to buy his photo taken by the official photographer.  As I don’t want to say no, my pocket money didn’t go amiss.

Extra Clothes and Towels – Extra clothes and towels are always handy.  And extra plastic bags for emergencies. 

Identifications and Health Cards – Once out, chaperones need to be extra vigilant.  Kids tend to be extra active when they are with each other.  Don’t forget to bring identification for you and your kid.  It is also advisable to put a small piece of paper in your kid’s pocket that has your name and contact details.  Health cards are also advisable.

Patience and Energy – Bring as much patience and energy as you can with you as a chaperone.  You will need it.

These are some of the things I bought with me as a chaperone.  All of them came in handy.  Hope it helps you if you’re planning to be a chaperone the educational trip of your kid.


12 comments:

  1. Inggit naman ako, my son's school doesn't allow chaperone pag grade 1 above na ang kids. Sa dami ng accidents sa field trip napaparanoid ako pag wala kasama. How I wish, mag Kidzania Field Trip din sila sa school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neo is still in Kinder... naku baka if he's in grade 1 hindi na din pwede ang chaperone... worrier pa naman ako masyado.

      Delete
  2. Been a constant chaperone to my three boys during field trips as well. And funny you would see that parents do enjoy a lot during those trips. lalo na for stay at home moms as they seldom go out.

    Malayo pa lalakbayin nyo ni Baby Neo. marami pang field trips at places. Enjoy lang at yes, patience is a virtue. Isama na ang energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ngayon pa lang, super excited na ako sa coming field trips. hopefully, I get to be a chaperone palagi.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the list, hindi talaga pwedeng mawala ang extra money hehehe. I remember when my nephew joined his first field trip kasama parents nya, napagod daw sila pati bulsa ng kapatid ko kakagastos lols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra money is a must. Kids pa naman pagkasama ang parents tend to ask their parents to buy this and that palagi.

      Delete
  4. Haha! I remember the feeling, too. Noong bata pa ako, pag may field trips or even outings, hindi ako nakakatulog kahit ano'ng pilit ko due to exagge excitement. Hihi. But now that I am a Mom already, mukhang magiging chaperone na lang din ako sa mga field trips ng mga bebes ko... But I am somehow bothered because of the recent news of a tragic field trip accident in Tanay. My husband and I are discussing tuloy about field trips in the future if we're going to allow our children to join. :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That accident is so tragic talaga. It's scary and nakakaworry for parents like us. But I'm sure schools will put on extra caution on future field trips due to this.

      Delete
  5. we don't really let our kids join field trips because we want them to experience these things with us. we let them join many other activities, like theater performances, sports fest, etc. with other homeschoolers, but field trips is a family thing. :) So yeah, pagod talaga! You can never bring enough energy with you, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Energy is really needed even with simple outings, lalo na if you are with a bunch of kids.

      Delete
  6. Awww it has been a while since I last became a chaperone on my kids' field trips. My girls are in high school now so they don't need a chaperone during field trips anymore. My five year old son is homeschooled though and hubby but I take him to our own field trips every so often so at least I still get to experience being a chaperone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treasure these moments kasi when my little boy is older na, I know I wont get to join him on these types of activities.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...