Monday, November 14, 2016

Tips When Traveling As A Family

Traveling is one of the many things I am passionate about.  One of my life goals is to travel as much as my energy and finances can accommodate.  If you are a follower of this blog, you would know that I sometimes travel for work, but mostly I travel with my family.  I find so much joy in building memories with my family.  As a young kid, I was given a chance to travel but only in limited places like my mom’s province or a relative’s place.  So the moment I started working, and was introduced to booking hotels or flights online in the Philippines, like Travelokaand outside the country, I began my travelling journey.  But I became more passionate about traveling when I became a mom. 


As a mom to a young child, I want to build as many travel memories as I can with my little boy.  I want to explore the world with him (and his dad too, of course), and make sure that he will remember that Mama and Papa was able to give him as much travel memories as we could.  I want to grab every opportunity I can to travel with my family as much as my body (because I won’t be as energetic as I am now), my time (because we have limited time in this world), and our finances (we need to save more) would allow us.

Traveling is something we all love however it comes with lots of preparations.  I am no expert in traveling but let me share to you some tips when you are traveling with your family.


BOOK IN ADVANCE.  One of my Tipid Tips topic before is about online booking particularly airfare.  Airfare takes a big chunk of the travel budget if you were not able to book in advance.  Saving on airfare (or any transport fare) can be a big help on your overall travel budget. 

SEARCH FOR THE BEST ACCOMMODATION.  There are a lot of travel websites offering discounted prices for hotel accommodation.  Make sure you check them.  But most importantly other than the price of the hotel you will stay, make sure you search for reviews (with s, meaning as much reviews as you can) on the place you will be staying.  Whenever I plan a vacation, I always search for the cheapest hotel or hostel bearing in mind that we will be out the whole day exploring the place, but I always end up booking a much better hotel.  This is after careful deliberation that traveling is a part of vacation.  After all, we don’t want to tire ourselves the whole day traveling, and then go back to our hotel and be stressed out because we chose the cheap one.  At the end of the day, cheap doesn’t equate to value for money.

PACK THE ESSENTIALS.  When traveling with my family, I don’t travel light.  I make sure to pack each and every little item that my little boy would need.  I pack a lot of extra clothes, I pack medicines, I pack a lot of snacks, I pack toys, I pack everything I can think of that we need.  I suggest you create a checklist of items you need during the travel.  This will aid in preparing your things and also to make sure you don’t forget to pack the essentials.  This can also help you avoid spending on items (such as toiletries) that you might forget.  Also, don’t forget to pack important documents such as birth certificates (if you’re travelling with kids without IDs) and health cards as they will come handy for emergency cases.

PLAN A RELAXED ITINERARY.  Traveling as a family means you will be with a lot of people.  A relaxed itinerary will help you enjoy your vacation more.  When we traveled abroad with Neo’s grandparents, our itinerary was one-tourist-attraction-a-day and good thing it was because if we squeezed in a lot of attractions in one day, we will not be able to go to all of them. This is because more people means more time in preparing, more time in waiting, and more time in discussing.  No disappointments will happen if you have a relaxed itinerary.

LET GO and ENJOY.  Finally, once you are travelling, please do enjoy every moment of it.  If itineraries and plans are not followed, let it go.  Don’t stress yourself on simple details.  Travelling with kids in tow can sometimes bring about some parenting issues as some children tend to be uncomfortable when they are not familiar with the place.  So as a parent, don’t forget to bring with you a lot of patience.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.

RECORD THE MEMORIES.  Not everyone is financially blessed to travel to same places twice.  So don’t forget to record all the memories.  Take lots of pictures.  Bring home souvenirs.  Create a journal of your travel memories.

And since you’ll be taking a vacation as a family…

ASSIGN SOMEONE TO LOOK AFTER YOUR HOME.  A lot of us forget this.  If you’re going away on a vacation, make sure to inform trusted relatives who live near you that you will be away.  This way they can check your house from time to time to ensure that no wrongdoers (thieves and the likes) will enter your home.  And if you have pets, you can assign someone, a neighbor perhaps, to feed them.  But of course, don’t forget to bring something for those people who helped took care of your house.

These are some of the tips I have when you are traveling as a family.  I may not be able to cover everything, so if you have other helpful tips, please be my guest and write it down in the comment section.  We may be able to help other traveling family to be prepared and enjoy their travel more.






34 comments:

  1. I don't travel light too pero hindi naman yung tipong dala na buong bahay. I just make sure na we have extra clothes. I experienced buying abroad, kasi kulang dala ko, buti na lang may Sale ko na nakita. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. naku, I need to learn the art of packing talaga. I usually pack a lot of things, minsan hindi pa needed. I just dont want to feel na may kulang hehe

      Delete
  2. We are planning to travel din when the husband comes home from Saudi as a family. Pag natuloy, it'll be Nate and I's first time outside PH. Kaya I need these tips to para makatipid at maenjoy and bonding! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope these tips help you enjoy the vacation more ;)

      Delete
  3. We haven't traveled as a family, I mean yung super layo. It would be hard, considering that I have a toddler with special needs. At kung umaalis kami kahit malapit lang ang dami ko pa ring dala. The health cards and IDs are super important. My kids also have personalized dog tags for emergency purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling with your family (especially with little kids) is very tiring. But the experience you will bring with you makes it all worth it.

      Delete
  4. We love love travel as a family, specially pag umuuwi ang husband ko. As long as we can we want to collect and collect memories. At talagang nag eenjoy din naman ang toddler namin. Habang isa palang ang anak sige lang ng sige. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. go lang ng go hanggat 1 child pa lang hehe

      Delete
  5. Relaxed itinerary. What we did when we went to SG was leave the hotel early to go to tourist spots then come back after lunch to let the kids sleep then go to tourist spots that are great during eve ingagain around 5pm onwards. This helps us all enjoy because we all have energy for tge night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me naman, I dont want to get disappointed when my planned itinerary is not met. nakakastress hahaha

      Delete
  6. Me puro si extra kaya ang ending ang daming dala lagi. Pawisin kasi two boys ko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, puro extra. extra snacks, extra clothes, extra everything hahaha

      Delete
  7. Very good tips here especially for me who really likes to travel with my family in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far, the only travelling I did with a kid in tow was Manila-Baguio and vice versa. :P And it is really hard packing things with a kid in mind. I used to travel home with just a backpack (4 days in Singapore with just a backpack, too) but a small luggage and a backpack for a week's stay in Europe. LOL! I am hoping to be able to travel again with the little boy abroad next year (if budget permits). If not, then somewhere within the Philippines (apart from Baguio, that is) for starters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will come in handy for me when we're going on a travel na as a family. We had plans kasi before but then I got pregnant this year kaya napostpone ang travel plans. When the second baby comes out na lang and we're ready to finally travel na. We have plans by January pero sa Tagaytay lang naman hihi. But for sure, knowing myself, I would be planning ahead and prepare an itinerary for sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, when we go as a family, we try to relax the itinerary as we don't want to be so pressured to run after scheduled rides and tours. Kaya nga vacation. Maybe when the kids are bigger and can pack for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for these tips, mommy! Hopefully next year we can travel as a family :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! We are big, firm believers in booking advance. I often buy tickets from promos and sales and then booking hotels early usually gives me a much lower early bird rate. Bonus pa if I come upon promos ulit. So much savings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are nice and indeed helpful tips. I will remember these as we plan our family outing this holiday seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips you got there! Travelling with the family esp. with kids is quite challenging..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to travel beyond a 2 hour drive with my 5 month old! But I'm excited to take her on a trip (not excited about the part where we'll probably bring the whole house in the car for the baby stuff haha) Will keep these tips in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to book in advance, you get better deals that way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It will be our first time to travel for an International destination next year, and as early as now I am trying my best to strategize on how to pack efficiently having a 1.7 old toddler. Wish us luck! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Traveling with kids and the entire family is a bit tricky. But nothing beats careful planning and being organized. These tips are sure to help those who are planning to travel this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always wait for promotional airfares kasi laki talaga nang matitipid mo. Kahit abutin pa ko ng wee hours makakuha lang ng best deal sa airfare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. One on our bucket list is to travel with the whole family. But having kids, there are a lot of pointers to consider. I really do hope that we can travel as a family soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips! We haven't travelled much as a family because I'm such a paranoid. Hahaha. I have this fear of accidents and of losing my kids while traveling. Maybe when the kids are a little older. :) I will keep these in mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Check! I let go of the extra activities (for me para sa single/no kids na lang ang mga 'yon) aside from saving dahil usually mahal ang mga iyon, mas safe din na sa shore na lang kami, or within the perimeter of the hotel/resort we are staying and like you said just let go and relax. Enjoy the sun, the breeze and the kids. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the part where you said relaxed travel! I usually try to squeeze in as much as places to visit when we travel kaya we always end up exhausted. Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. In our case, it's hubby who does the planning and booking while I do the packing. We don't really have an itinerary; we just do whatever we feel like doing at the moment. And yes, we love to travel, too, but it's been a busy year. Hope to travel more this 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are nice tips to follow. Sometimes you get so busy with everything that for sure you miss something.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips! It's so tiring lang actually to travel with everyone in tow but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am really hoping that we can do more traveling as a family this year so I'm happy to have come across these tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...