Monday, September 9, 2013

On Donating Blood


Last week, one of my colleagues was admitted to the hospital due to dengue.  The company asked us to help by donating blood.  Her blood type is A+, and I have blood type O – which is the universal donor, right? I was super excited to donate as this will be my first time kung sakali.  It was my lifelong dream to donate blood kasi.  But why haven’t I donated blood until now?

There are basic criteria when donating blood.  You should
Ø  Be in good health
Ø  Be between 16 to 65 years old (16 and 17 years old need parents consent);
Ø  Weigh at least 110 pounds;
Ø  Have a blood pressure between: Systolic: 90-160 mmHg, Diastolic: 60-100 mmHg; and
Ø  Pass the physical and health history assessments.

Check ako for all except “weigh at least 110 pounds”.  110pounds kasi is 50kilos.  And I haven’t reached 50kilos before (well, let’s not include the pregnancy weightJ).  This is the first time in my life I have reached 50+kilos, kasi remember I gained too much weight?

So off I go to the hospital to donate blood.  But unfortunately, I wasn’t qualified pa din.  The hospital doesn’t accept replacement blood (that is what they call donors who don’t have the same blood type as the receiver). 

That was my chance na sana to help and donate blood.  Now, I’m torn between losing weight or maintaining this until the time I can donate blood.  What do you think?





2 comments:

  1. We are same sis, I can't donate blood too, because of weight issue.. tsk.tsk..payatot pa me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true. sabi pa naman nila its healthy to donate blood. sana makadonate na ako soon...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...