Saturday, September 21, 2013

Scholar’s Mate



Are you a chess enthusiast?  If you are, I know you’ve heard of this one.  The Scholar’s Mate is achieved though the following moves:
1. e4 e5
2. Qh5 Nc6
3. Bc4 Nf6??
4. Qxf7#

This is more commonly called as “Four-move Checkmate”. 

Why am I telling you this?  Because we have a Chess Tournament here in our company.  And the organizer asked me if I wanted to join the tournament.  I laughed out loud.  Why again?  One of my college PEs is Chess (in UPLB, you get to choose 4 types of Physical Education Class, PE1: The Lecture, PE2, 3, and 4 – are sports activities).  Being a lampa, I chose Chess, Bridge (a card game), and T'ai chi ch'uan (Chinese Martial arts). 

One of the requirements for me to pass the Chess class is by joining a tournament.  My Chess professor has only one requirement in this tournament, not by being a champion, but you shouldn't be checkmated in less than 10 moves.

Well, no more explaining to do.  In my 3rd game, I was trapped by my opponent in the Scholar’s Mate.  She tried to stand up and to shout that she won by 4 moves.  Those sitting beside her stopped her as they told her I will fail this subject. 

Kaloka di ba?  And my colleagues want me to join the Chess Tournament.  Hahaha, baka magkaround 2 ung four moves checkmate ko L


Photo from Wikipedia




2 comments:

  1. ay! ganyan pala ang interpretation ng chess moves? hehe. now i know. i read it in a romance novella kasi tapos dinedma ko lang kasi hindi ko alam how to interpret it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its the boxes, girl. it has numbers and letters na corresponding sa boxes ng chess. kaloka my Chess prowess no? LOL

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...