Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Parenting Tips from My Friend

Last weekend, I met with my friend, Laine (together with our hubbies and babies).  Laine and I haven’t met for how many months, and knowing her, it was a never ending chatter about how life has been and some parenting tips.


Me and Neo, Laine and Quinny

I would be very honest that I am not the best mom there is in the world.  So what are some parenting tips I got from my dear friend whose daughter is a year older than Neo?

Discipline.  I am one very lenient mommy. The last time I spanked Neo was May lastyear – and I haven’t done it again.  I am an advocate of discipline by spanking.  I will be very vocal on that.  Why?  The Bible says so, that is why.  But my heart melts whenever Neo cries.  I cannot bring myself to spanking him.  Now, I told that to Laine and that Neo would sometimes try to do some spanking actions (aakmang mamamalo) whenever I reprimand him.  And what do I do?  I shout at the top of my voice to wherever Leo is: “Papa, si Neo o!”.  and voila, Neo is behaved.  He fears Leo – but not me. 

This is something Laine pointed out.  Neo should fear BOTH parents.  Not one.  She told me how she disciplines Quinn.  That is: 1) reprimand 10 times, if she still doesn't follow 2) count to 10 3) and spank.  One big spank – something that she will remember.  4) explain.

It is vital that we don't spank as often as we want.  Kids will not get our point kasi when we just spank and spank.  We need to spank one big time and then explain why we did it. 

Financial. One parenting tip you will hear a lot of times is “saving for the rainy days”.  And I am doing it.  But Laine said something that blew me off guard.  She is saving for the “rainy days” 2 years from now.  Wow. Tuition fees for next school year are already saved.  So she’s saving for tuition fees for next next school year.  I am honestly impressed.  And I thought its right e.  You don’t want to have headaches coming up with money for tuition fee and you don’t want to put your children in a state of embarrassment holding promissory notes so they can take exams.

I hope you learn from these two tips I got from her.  It’s just so funny that we’ve been friends prior to having husbands and we talk a lot about anything in the world.  We still do, but now our talks focus more on homemaking and parenting. J




8 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of spanking too but I also know that it's God's advice and very effective when done properly. Unlike you my daughters are already grown up so I think I can't spank them anymore. I can just raise my voice and then pray that they will learn with repeated advices :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, i like this comment sis. pray na lang that they will learn. the power of prayer talaga.

      Delete
  2. yun ang problem sa atin mga mommies, we are emotional kaya minsan hirap disiplinahin mga bata...hahaha...same here, mas takot si Rylee sa daddy nya..waah..thank you for sharing sis. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. naku, we need to learn na din to be firm and discipline. hirap no?

      Delete
  3. Awesome tips.. I wish I could also do that kind of discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. naku, todong patience and needed for that kind of discipline kasi before spanking you have to exhaust all efforts from repeated reprimand to counting up to 10

      Delete
  4. Hi Nerisa, I got here via Kikay Mommy Sha's blog. Very useful tips. I'll have to practice spanking harder though haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting my blog :) practice spanking harder - i like that. kasi i need it too. basta daw one time big time. pero wag naman ung pang lumpuhan level hahaha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...